Many of the parishioners of Sacred Heart Parish lost their homes. For several days, with bridges washed out all over town, areas were flooded and other parts were isolated from relief supplies and emergency services. In the heart of the most heavily damaged area was Sacred Heart Church and her parish property. Flooding filled the basements of all the church buildings and most of the first floor areas. One of the stories told is that every piano, in the convent, the school, and the church was lost from the flooding; a small detail that identifies the sweeping and unfathomable damage to the parish and her parishioners.
Father Ovila Gevry would follow Father Philbert Therrien who died at the end of 1955 and would rally his parishioners to meet their own needs as well as their parish in rebuilding from the flood. In three short years, the parish and her members had rebuilt and recovered to fittingly celebrate a half century of life, their Golden Jubilee as a parish in 1958. The next decades would witness the challenges of a changing Church from the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, the closing of the parish school, the introduction of bingo to supplement the parish stewardship, and eventually the loss of the beloved Sisters of the Assumption in the parish. Numbers for vocations and subsequently for faithful Catholics continued to decline as manufacturing diminished in the area and moved to other parts of the country and even the world. The faithful persevered with cabarets, festivals, and increased giving, but the expenses were beyond the ability of an aging community and a declining Catholic presence in Southbridge. Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish celebrated the 90th anniversary of its founding in 1998, but there was a foreboding anxiety about how it would continue to survive. In 2007, when Father Charles Armey was reassigned, Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish was joined with Notre Dame Parish in town to share the pastoral leadership of Father Leo Paul Leblanc as the pastor of the separate canonical parishes.