The church was dedicated on Sunday, July 2, 1916, the feast of the Visitation by the Most Rev. Thomas D. Beaven, Bishop of Springfield, as part of the centennial festivities for the Town of Southbridge which was incorporated in 1816. On October 11, 1950, the Most Rev. John J. Wright, first Bishop of Worcester, consecrated Notre Dame Church, the first church to have this honor in the Diocese of Worcester. Along the walls, between the windows there are marble crosses to indicate this designation that this church would be a permanent place of worship, dedicated to the glory of God in the name of Jesus Christ.
In 1969, major renovations were executed by Monsignor Raymond Page that removed the original main altar and altered the sanctuary significantly. In addition to these structural changes, Notre Dame Parish was among the first in the country to sign an ecumenical agreement with an Episcopal church, Holy Trinity on Hamilton Street in town. The parish closed its schools, promoted a Parish School of Religious Education and encouraged lay involvement, participation and leadership in line with the understanding of Vatican II.
A restoration of the exterior of Notre Dame Church took place from 1986 to 1988 while Rev. Msgr. Francis Goguen was pastor. The front concrete plaza, built in 1915 was replaced with Canadian granite following the original style and dimensions. The plaza was blessed on June 25, 1988 by the Most Rev. Timothy J. Harrington, third Bishop of Worcester, and it was named Place Notre Dame.